Vegan Rose Tea, Lemon + Pistachio cake with Moon Tea
We couldn’t resist getting our bake on and making this gorgeous Rose, lemon and pistachio cake ✨ Inspiration from @willflirtforfood this cake is 100% plant-based and made using our very own Moon Tea blend!
It’s no secret that we really love Rose and the amazing benefits it gives us, especially when on our period. To add the lemon is great for our immune systems while pistachios are bursting with fibre + a good source of unsaturated fat, protein + vitamin B6. All wonder foods for when you menstruate.
Note: the original recipe does contain a fair amount of sugar. We substituted white caster sugar for half the amount in brown and added maple syrup instead. You can try various sugar alternatives, making this a sugar free snack if avoiding sugar while you bleed.
Try at home —
👉🏽 for the cake
275g Self raising flour
100g Caster sugar
3 tbsp Maple syrup
1 tsp Baking powder
100ml Vegetable oil
40g Pistachios, crushed
1g Dried rose petals (we used Moon Tea)
Zest and juice of one unwaxed lemon
2 tbsp Rose essence
👉🏽 for the topping
Juice of one lemon
2 tbsp Maple syrup
1 tbsp Rose essence
3 tbsp Icing sugar
10g Pistachios, crushed
A pinch of rose petals
1. Heat a fan assisted oven to 180’ and line your loaf tin with baking parchment.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder + lemon zest in a bowl.
3. Add the vegetable oil, lemon juice, Rose essence + water and mix.
4. Add in the rose petals and crushed pistachios- fold in gently.
5. Place in the centre of the oven for 40 mins, until a skewer comes out clean. Poke the skewer multiple times through the top of the cake to create holes. Cool on a wire rack.
6. For the topping firstly mix the sugar + lemon juice in a pan over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves. While warm, pour over the cake allowing it to seep into the holes. This will make the cake lovely and moist.
7. Mix the rose water with the icing sugar and loosen with a little water to make pourable icing. Pour this over the cake and immediately decorate it with the remaining crushed pistachios and rose petals. The icing will help the decorations to stick.